Friday, 18 November 2011
What Google can do for you!
RSS, Docs, Calander
Well I am here to tell you that I had no idea all the things that google could do and I have not even explored all the options. I watched the following video to give me a sneak peek at what is available from an educators perspective http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvviWtyhms0. I have been using google reader and have slowly expanded the number of blogs that I am following. I am expanding my interests to including not only school/work related topics but a few personal interest topics. After viewing a classmate’s blog I added 1000 Awesome Things and I am continuously searching for new ones to add but I do not want to add too many at one time. I am not sure that I can handle the overload all at once. Google Reader can help keep busy teachers up todate with current articels, the latest technology and what is happening in the world around them. Google also has an amazing calendar that sends me emails and tells me to do the things that are in the schedule, unfortunately I do not have a phone that my emails could go to, otherwise this would be a fantastic addition. The one very exciting feature that I am using is google docs. This is amazing for collaboration as a teacher and as a student. Just yesterday a classmate and myself got together (other course) and worked side by side simultaneously on a project. It was amazing. Now we can add or edit the project as we work on it. After my maternity leave I will introduce this concepts to my students (if they do not already use it) because it is much easy to work on a group assignment if everyone has ready access, rather then trying to email it back and forth to one another. If you have not tried it, I highly recommend it!
PS. I just read about iGoogle- something that I will have to look into!
Labels:
final project
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I LOVE Google and use it all the time with my students! The kids use Google Docs to collaborate and they are going to be creating websites soon as part of our novel study.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing better than being able to send an email home everyday with their homework...no more excuses of not knowing something was due! Plus, the can easily send you emails with questions so no more excuses of "I didn't understand the question or what I was supposed to do"!
Once you are back teaching (but enjoy your mat leave as it goes quickly!), I know it will change the way you teach and assign work! Happy Googling!
I am happy to hear that google is so useful and I am excited to try it!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lisa